Re: How would your school handle this? (discipline question--not art related)

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 11:35:43 PST

I teach in OK where 2 years ago a boy shot 5 classmates in a small rural
school district called Fort Gibson. The principal of this school is a good
ole boy who is as country as they get.

However: He handled it well and has formed state-wide plans and even met
with principals from other states to share what he learned. He would be the
first to tell you that "it can't happen here" is naive and unrealistic.
Perhaps your principal would be willing to call him for advice?

Fort Gibson Middle School, Oklahoma area code 918

Also: we have a no tolerance policy in OK for threats like this. If it
could be determined who wrote the note (and an intensive investigation would
be instigated-usually the kids tell on one another) he would receive I
believe it is a one semester suspension at minimum and the police would be
involved in searching his home residence for firearms and bomb paraphenalia.

---