Re: Commercial Art Curriculum

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 18:17:07 PST

In a message dated 03/02/2001 1:29:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
judihc@bellsouth.net writes:

> Does anyone teach such a course in high school that is willing to share
> their curriculum with me.

I have been teaching a Commercial Art class for 6 years. We started this as
a class to introduce the students to different types of careers in the
Graphic design world. I am not a graphic art major so I had to learn along
with them and have real graphic designers come in to talk and give demo's of
what they do. At least I knew more than them.

We started off with:

1. Logo's, Corporate identity, along with stationary and cards

2. Next I had them do an Illustration of a word using the letters as a format
with pictures in them or a Montage of images with a word, like a front piece
to a magazine article.

3. Using Photoshop we learned:
       a. tutorials
       b. Make 2 self portraits One using as many filters as possible
           after scanning in an image. For the other, I had them cut their
picture
           out and place it in a new place or area of another picture.
       c. Include a lesson on design and layout using copy, headlines,
           and graphics.
       d. create an add for a magazine using an existing add for copy and
           pictures with a different design.
       e. Make a CD cover, front, back and inside liner notes for an existing

           band or group with new songs and title.
       f. Redesign the dollar bill front and back using all of the required
areas
           of the bill.

4. Create a Menu cover for an existing Restaurant, real size and include the
inside as well.

5.Select an object, no bigger than 10 inches long and something that you
would buy, create a package for it. Box design and or wrapped Repackage the
product.

6. Design a letter font (could use Illustrator) from scratch including
numbers and punctuation.

These are some things that we did last year. I will teach it again next year.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA

---