remembering names

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 18:03:44 PST

I don't have a seating chart, don't need one, they always sit in the
same place!! But the way I remember their names (for my new semester
classes) is I play a mental game with them/myself called "no~no, don't
tell me...you're_________" We get hysterical the first two days, because
I really can't figure out from day one to day two who they are, and they
delight in keeping their mouths shut, and hiding anything that might
give me a hint...by the third day I've got it. It gives me three days
to make associations, because I really stare at them while I try to make
these associations...I am also heard to say"hmmmm....you're Robert,
because I've narrowed it down between Robert and Jim, and I think you
don't seem like a Jim" (which logically makes absolutely no sense, and
again has them look at me askew~and I love keeping them off balance!).
But all my past students know that if they pass my way again, they have
to give me a hint (like their name) because 25 years X 200 students in 3
high schools, well, let's put it this way, my hard drive of a brain is
out of memory.

San D

---