Re: Commercial Art Curriculum

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 14:40:48 PST

Judi,
I taught a class called Introduction to Graphic Design to Middle School back
before computers (yes, back in the dark ages, i know)
We did a lesson each on:
Lettering Styles-put different ones together to make a picture
Learning the 4 parts of a layout (headline, illustration, copy, trademark)
Developing a personal logo
Package Design (box or other 3D item-not a copy but an original designed to
sell a new or existing product)
CD Cover Design (for an existing or your own musical group)
Industrial Design (new, innovative irons, kitchen appliances etc,
-functional but aesthetic)

Could you adapt some of these to the new computer techniques?
Hope this helps some. I made all these lessons up but I still have the
handouts-just in case computers ever die out and we go back to markers and
illustration board -hahahaha.
It was a fun class and the kids enjoyed it. One girl even chose to go
on-because of this class- and will graduate this year with a graphic design
degree (using computers, not markers).

Cindy E.

I would like to teach a Commercial Art class at my school next year using
Adobe Photo Shop, Illustrator and PageMaker. I need to present a course
curriculum to our Academic committee. I have searched the web for hours and
cannot find the information I need. Does anyone teach such a course in high
school that is willing to share their curriculum with me.

---