Re: schedules

---------

From: Art Sherwyn (art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 10:45:21 PST

Caryn,
    Regarding being pooped, teaching art is often times an athletic event, with all the set-ups, clean-ups, etc., etc., etc., and if you teach from Sept. to June, you're starting to endure the last laps. I might be unpopular for saying this, but often times the act of doing art is powerful enough by itself in providing affective learning and enrichment. We don't have to attach grades, and comments to their work. If you're the type of teacher who constantly roams the room and critiques as she/he goes, grades can sometimes be a moot point. Plus you can save yourself some extra hours in the evenings, grading papers and writing tailor made comments. Personally, when it comes to art, "I grade character not art. It is not about how good you are, it's about how good you learn, and good character makes for good learning. Writing assignments are often times more effective if they are kept short. Students can read their writings for you. I honestly do not think the greatness in a teacher is based on how much work they take home. It's based on how many eyes they raise in the class. I think it is much more important for the art teacher to use there free time making art themselves. Those teachers who make art, are doing far more good for their future in this profession than all the papers they take home. When you make art, you learn art. Teaching art is a great art. There is no art in the teacher that feels bogged down. Take the time to build your spirit and your profession through your own art, and then your life and your profession will become one. And since artists get better with age, it could be an amazing ride.
    I did not mean to get so deep, but it was one of those times when the words kept coming, so I kept writing. I hope I did not offend anyone. Art Sherwyn