Great Lesson - Dr. Seuss

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 09:09:06 PST

We just finished a great outreach with a 1st grade GT group. It is part of a
larger unit we are doing on illustrators with them.

After reading The Cat in the Hat, we examined the illustrations and
especially the colors, shades and tints he uses.
The kids then drew black line drawings of something inspired by the book.
Next we gave them two pallets, two brushes, water, and a sponge. 1 pallet
had black, white, blue the other had black, white and red. They mixed shades
and tints on the two pallets, and filled in their illustrations with those
colors. We required them to paint in white for white spaces to show that the
color choice was deliberate not an unfinished area. Everyone had a blast. We
repeat the lesson Monday with 2 more classes. Then they will come to SAMFA
to create illustrator inspired backgrounds and props for a play about the
magic of books.

Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly@wcc.net <mailto:kimberly@wcc.net> )
CAM Administrator