RE: Unruly class

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 08:50:34 PST

Check out www.braingym.org. I use Brain Gym activities all the time when my
students come in and they are hyper and are having a hard time transitioning
to Art time. When you get the philosophy behind it, you will see how the
simple exercises work. Think about a bunch of teachers in a multi-day
conference type setting. We go from one workshop to another with five
minutes in between, we are told to sit quietly and listen, and basically
have minimal choices in how we go about our day. Usually we are talking,
coming in late, difficult to get quieted down - teachers make some of the
worst students!:) Just like we get restless and bored with sitting and
keeping to a routine, so do the kids. Taking a minute or two at the
beginning of class to release a little energy and do some focusing
activities may take a few minutes of our precious art time away, but you can
be sure it will make the rest of the time much more productive and happy!
Good luck!

Julie

---