Re: Gifted Student(?)and early testing

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 05:57:30 PST

My son who is 8 grew up in an orphanage in Russia. It was obvious by age 6
that he was gifted in some areas but heavily deficient in other areas. He
was VERY frustrated in first grade. The school refused to test him saying
that testing that early was unreliable. I insisted telling them that I
wanted to see if his pattern was low across the board (indicating dev. delay
due to his background) or an up and down pattern (indicating LD).

They agreed to test and were amazed to see that he had a CLEAR very
high-very low up and down pattern indicating LD in math and reading. He was
immediately placed in an LD lab for math and Title 1 program for reading as
well as additional 1 on 1 tutoring for extra reading help. In 1 years time
he has made amazing progress. He is now very happy in school and sees
himself as successful.

BTW, this child is extremely gifted in spatial organization. Can build
fantastic lego creations. Can go to the airport, see an airplane and come
home and build the interior and exterior in incredible detail. Fortunately
my husband is an architect and sees things in 3D also so is able to
encourage and support this gift.

Just a plug for early testing and extra help at an early age.....

Cindy E.

---