LD's was RE: Gifted Student(?)

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 05:11:10 PST

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I wish that in the US we
would recognize different learning styles not learning disabilities (except
in extreme cases with organic causes.) On the other hand I wish I had been
diagnosed before university. From 3rd grade through 12th I was called lazy,
sloppy, and unmotivated for my handwriting and inability to spell. At
university I was diagnosed with dysgraphia. Simply knowing there was a
reason why no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get spelling through my
head helped me relax and learn alternative techniques. It would have saved a
lot of heartache if my family and I had known earlier.

I also knew a student at a school I subbed in for 3 years, in 6th grade he
was a happy pretty funny kid by 8th he was a dangerous angry young man. In
elementary school he had been in a motorcycle accident. The doctors said
that the area of the brain that processes symbolic language had sustained a
good deal of damage. His parents refused to allow testing, that would have
allowed the teachers to create a special program to help him work around the
problem. His father was at fault in the accident, but he blamed the boy. If
the boy had been blind there would have been know question, but because the
injury was less visible (it did show up on a CAT scan or MRI) the teachers
had their hands tied behind their backs especially when it came to state
mandated testing.

If we treat an LD diagnoses as the beginning of a solution it is good. If
the LD diagnoses is the stopping point and excuse then it is cruelty to the
child.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator