Gifted Student(?)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 21:57:26 PST

I very possibly have a 2nd grade gifted student that I would really like to encourage. This student is LD in reading and math, but is such a sweet little thing. I realized that she had unbelievable talent in Kindergarten when she drew a self-portrait of herself with details that I struggle to get some of my highschoolers to include. As she ages I am seeing her self-esteem plummet. She needs and desires something special in the area of art. Any suggestions? I searched the archives for hours, but have only found the pros/cons on gifted and numerous other discussions, but no definate ideas that I can offer this student. I see her for appx. 1 hour per week in class, and could meet for another 15 min. 1-on-1, but other than that I'd like to keep it something she can do on her own. Any ideas? I'm not sure I'm being clear about all this! *G* We don't have a gifted program in our area, so I'm kind of on my own. I guess I'd like some specific assignments, motivators, suggestions, etc. and other practical ideas that I can use.
TIA ~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---