Re: student self assessment

---------

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 19:24:34 PST

on 3/1/01 10:54 AM, Tmcnorf@aol.com at Tmcnorf@aol.com wrote:

> a while back, the thread revolved around student self assessments and
> pass/fail art classes. i am working with my district to try to do away with
> numerical grading in art, at the middle school level. i am having a little
> trouble finding enough literature, and research to support this. does anyone
> know of anything worthwhile? i would appreciate any help.
> teresa in ny
>
> ---

Teresa - Start with Alfie Kohn, a longtime educational gadfly and critic of
grades-as-achievement, who has written extensively on the negative effects
of grading. You should be able to find a lot by this author in any univ. or
research library, and the bibliography would lead you to other researchers
in this field. - Dennis in Wyo.

---