A "Bless the Book" review

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 21:16:24 PST

I just received a book on my library "book a month" club that I just have to
recommend. This one is brand new, hot off the press and it is such a hoot!
It's called Willy's Pictures by Anthony Browne. It has won the Hans
Crhistian Andersen Medal award for excellence in illustration. ISBN #
0-7636-1323-1. Anyways, it is a picture book about a monkey who "paints
pictures". As you look through the book you discover traditional paintings
where the main characters are monkeys (ex. Mona Lisa is a monkey, Sunday
Afternoon on the Island of LaGrande Jatte has monkeys instead of people -
and the woman "monkey" is walking a "human".) My high school kids loved it!
They first tried to identify the original paintings, then they discovered
that there are also hidden "paintings" within the paintings. There are
several lessons that can be pulled from this book for all age levels. (I
can't wait to share it with my intermediate kids in the morning!)
On a scale of 1-10, I rate this book a 10 on appeal, illustrations, and
usefulness to me as a K-12 art teacher - but then, I have always loved the
surreal!
> ~Michal

---