Re: Unruly Class

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 16:06:55 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <klpoos@hometel.com>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>

> Besides writing sentences and taking away their art class
> what else can you do? I hate to punish the whole class as
> some were quiet but it was hard to pick out the trouble
> makers.
> Sandy Poos
> Elem. Art

I have struggled with this before, and here's what I've been doing lately .
. . btw, this is a combination of things I learned on this list. Thanks
guys!!

I put the word NOISE on the board. Each time it is too loud, I erase a
letter (even if it is as they come in). When it gets to NO (three chances),
we go to "Silent art class." During silent class, I sit and stare at them,
they get no help or feedback because I have turned into a police person (I'm
still looking for an official looking hat!!). Sometimes this is just for 5
min., sometimes longer (depending on what kind of assignment they are
doing). If anyone talks during this time (I let whispered "helps" go) they
have to copy a written essay from their point of view, that I have written.
The essay addresses the reasons for having to work quietly and why they are
having to spend their art time writing. This seems to work.

Leah

---