Re:Golden Rectangle

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Golombek (golombek)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:24:25 -0400

Elaine,

with my sixth graders I have done a project based on the Golden Rectangle
where they create a rectangle with one side being 1.6 times longer than the
other side. I figure that's close enough. Having them use rulers to actually
draw a straight line is one objective. The math calculations I have them do
on the board for different lengths. This project comes while they are
dealing with Ancient Greece in their Social Studies classes.

The rectangle they create is then subdivided into other rectangles of
similar proportions and we then use paints or pastels to shade them in. This
also leads into a discussion of the later works of Piet Mondrian who used
primary colors in the grid formats. I show them his "Broadway Boogie Woogie"
and listen to some of Gershwin's "American in Paris" and "Rhapsody in Blue"
as emblematic of the times.

The Boogie Woogie painting is the first painting I saw when I was in 6th
grade that really interested me in art. The kicker is that it was a
substitute teacher that showed it. That was about 45 years ago and I still
remember that moment on a Friday afternoon.

Dennis

--
Thank You Sabres!!!! Thank You Sabres!!!!
"Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio ?

http://members.localnet.com/~golombek/