Re: Advanced Placement Portfolio

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:40:21 -0400

Before I went "gung ho" after I experienced an Advanced Placement seminar, I
called all the art colleges, and colleges with good art departments that I
recommend to my students and their parents. None of them accepted the AP
credits for original credit, and explained that they wanted to 'start' students
in their school's tradition. So, consequently, while AP Studio art is on the
books at our school, my colleague and I have decided NOT to teach it. We do
have an Open Studio experience for our advanced Seniors/Juniors, and they DO
produce portfolios which have been on par or in some cases stronger than those
I saw at the Advanced Placement Seminar. The big difference is that I am not
STRAPPED to the AP guidelines and neither are our students. For schools,
however, that don't have the extensive art program we do, I can see the
viability of the rigours of the AP guidelines for a portfolio preparation
course, but I still recommend that you check with the colleges in your area.
Sometimes parents and students are only concentrating on the credits earned for
college as compared to the experience, and you wouldn't want to have them come
back at you with 'why didn't you tell me'.

San D