Re: deciding to be an artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Betty Bowen (bbowen.ok.us)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:01:31 -0500

Betty wrote:
>Although I decided at age 6 that I was an artist, I never had ANY art
instruction >elementary/jr high school, so learning how it is taught at that
level is all new to me.

Stephen wrote:

>Fifth grade for me - a definative experience.
>Do you have a story/event surrounding your decision you are an artist?

Yes - we'd always made a lot of art at our house, so I thought I was "good
at it" (elem teacher parents) but at 6, I'd just gotten glasses and for the
first time I could see leaves on trees and bricks on houses. WOW! But the
"eureka" moment was watching Mary Poppins at the Dunkin Theatre (in my new
glasses) and Dick VanDyke made drawings on the sidewalk and they all jumped
into the pictures and got to tap dance with penguins. That's what really did
it for me.

What happened in the 5th grade?
Anybody else have a story?

Betty