Re: artist and mag search

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:58:21 -0500

wendy sauls wrote:

> also, anybody have suggestions on art magazines?  i've gotten
> artforum, art in america, american craft, the usual, but they are all
> so euro-art, too much so for my taste, anyway.  i'd like something
> that has a lot broader, more global/cultural/historical approach, like
> where i can read about stuff like aboriginal dot painting and oaxacan
> wood sculpture, for example.  any ideas?

oh for the money to subscribe to them all and then time to read them!
there are so many great resources if you know where to look. the
Smithsonian ( http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ ) almost always has an art
related article and they don't limit these to western (euro) art. e.g.
the 12/98 issue has an awesome article called "The Age of Edo" about the
japanese exhibit at the National Gallery.
National Geographic ( http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ ) is another
super source. e.g. 9/98 "Valley of the Kings" showing art of ancient
egypt; 4/99 "Journey to the Copper Age" in part about craft of metalwork
for ritual and trade 4,000BC; 6/99 "Ancient Art of the Sahara", an
african version of native american, aust. aboriginal, and eurpoean rock
art (the foldout of a 7,000-yr-old giraffe herd engraved on a libyan
cliff is absolutely breathtaking!)

for strictly art mags try *Art & Antiques* which has information about
ancient art from all over the planet; *African Arts*, all about old and
new african art; and there's one that has all Native American art -
can't remember the title but have seen it at borders, at museum shops,
and in university/museum libraries.

completely off the subject of wendy's question but back to the
interdisciplinary thread i started with, the New York Academy of
Sciences publishes a neat magazine called "The Sciences" available at
borders or online ( http://www.nyas.org/sciences.htm ). The cover and
every article are beautifully illustrated with four-color repros from
museum and gallery collections that complement the science articles with
amazing clarity. e.g. the jan/feb 91 issue (i saved!) has a 6-pg article
on the dying off of songbirds with 4 color illustrations: "Tennessee
Warbler" by Louis Agassiz Fuertes (1895); a 1st century Roman fresco; an
Audubon; and "Untitled (Mirage)" by Pat Steir, 1985. The only info about
the art is given in picture credits, but i love the publisher's idea of
communicating the scientific idea by means of the aesthetic image.

well, the reason i seem to have all these mags at the ready is because
i'm packing to move! and right now i'm not getting very far! later,
buckos.
linda in michigan