Fwd: Re: A Question about Teaching/Kindergarteners

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
GBWOLF
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:59:01 EDT

--part1_6d1f754a.24a217f5_boundary

From: GBWOLF
Full-name: GBWOLF
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:51:39 EDT
Subject: Re: A Question about Teaching/Kindergarteners
To: Ed1Pat1

Hi Kristi:
Yes, my "leaders" return whatever supplies they pick up at the end of class.
On the cart or in the room, they go to the sink the same way...
quietest table brings art work to me so I can put it on the rack (if we need
to do that step) then goes to the sink. Each student counts to ten (they
must get soap, wash hands before 10 count is done). Next they dry hands off,
wipe table with paper towel (if needed) then head for the line at the door.
This is a k-4 procedure. Again, if you start them early...it's no big deal
by the time they are in 2nd grade.
PS-If I feel they can get away with NOT washing up (markers or glue) I skip
this step. I only let them wash if they are truly messy...amd some won't be
dirty even then...so they just know to go straight to the line at the door.
I make a point of saying "No time for a shower or bubble bath" to keep them
from being messy at the sink. Sometimes I do have to stand by the sink at
the beginning of the year to help with counting. OR I appoint a counter (one
who can count well, and behaves well to do it for everyone).
Hope this helps!
-Becca

--part1_6d1f754a.24a217f5_boundary--