Re: A Question about Teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
M.Grosspietsch (teachart)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:14:25 -0500

So far I have read 3 responses to your question, and I agree with all of
them. Art is not "do page 46 for homework, please" course work (and
hopefully math is no longer like that either). I believe meaning is
constructed both by doing AND by interacting, so that children encounter
more information on which to build more knowledge.

Sit back? I don't think I sit down, ever. I can't believe someone would
want/ expect a teacher (regaradless of subject matter) to abstain from
monitoring student progress. Personally, the 1:1 interactions are my
favorite part of teaching... coaching and coaxing students to discover
new ideas, processes, techniques, etc., that enhance their work. Let
them discover, but be their guide, know what I mean?

Keep up with your style. It has class (both meanings) written all over
it!

M.Grosspietsch