Re: kindergarten (long, sorry)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri Sanford Mason (terily)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:01:09 -0500

Hi Heather,
I don't have any tricks, I just let them practice. Another idea that ties
into line AND practices scissor skills is to use "crazy" scissors (the ones
with the zigzag or wavy edges), as well as regular ones, to cut long thin
pieces (lines). They just cut and glue them down on paper. Encourage them to
use overlapping; some will even realize they can make some stand up or "pop
out." I also train them to use small dots of glue. Someone (I don't remember
who) told me "A dot is a lot." They say this to themselves as they place a
small dot at each end and at the middle. This saves glue and allows things to
dry more quickly. I only have one dry rack and 500 students, so the space is
at a premium.

Hope this helps. I'll bet MaryAnn Kohl has some good ideas for scissor
practice!
teri