Re: Feces Painting Divides Art Lovers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Artemis420
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:58:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/99 6:07:21 PM EST, fromkinr writes:

<< Exactly my thoughts Ricki. I frequently tell my students that neither the
> > subject nor the medium make any difference in the quality of their work.
>
> Then you're certainly at odds with the great media/sociologist guru
Marshall
> McCluhan who pronouced that *the medium is the message*!
>
> In other words--what else is there to say about contemporary art other
than its
> subject matter and its vehicle of expression? Quality? That's a gray area
> beyond the reach of most individuals contemporaneous with the artist,
whose work
> may be yet too esoteric or strange to be understood---as is the case with
most
> artists who push the envelope of expression---rather than work in more
> established traditions.
>
> Best wishes, >>
But isn't it a metaphor for the expression of the end of a process?
The outcome of a process that is mostly internal? [Digestive system produces
feces]
Like an art work is the end product of an internal mental system, the art =
feces..?
Artie