Re: Feces Painting Divides Art Lovers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:38:41 -0400

Sages7 wrote:

> In a message dated 6/14/99 5:44:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jaugusta writes:
>
> << Did any of you see this!! What are some of your opinions and would you
> > explain THIS to students?
> > maryB
> >
> Old hat, Mary. The first individual to use this unusual medium was
> Piero Manzoni, and Italian proto-Conceptual artist who produced an
> edition (90 tin cans) of what he titled *Artist's Shit* --it was just
> that--in 1960. >>
>
> What about Abject art? Seems like there are very many examples of artists
> using their body excrement, parts and fluids to create art. Carolee
> Schneemann, Kiki Smith, Orlan to name a few...
>
> I think the human body, both inside and out, interest many. As to explaining
> to my class about feces painting..umm..good question!
>
> Heather

Maybe I'm naive, but why couldn't you just explain to your students what
you just said, that the human body, both inside and out, interest many.
Some artists are so interested that they feel the need to express
themselves these types of things as their medium to do so.

I feel students respect you better if your honest with them. You might
not happen to agree or like what their doing, but art is a very personal
thing that not everyone might connect with.

Just a thought.

Ricki in NJ