Re: book referral

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:27:58 -0400

Betty Bowen wrote:
> If Cindy is still on the list who recommended Suzi Gablik's "The
> Reenchantment of Art" back in February - I finally got it and just finished
> it - Thank You Thank You!
> Any other recommendations for great summer reading?
> Betty

Betty I'd like to hear more about his book I'm not sure I read the
original post. I can recommend 2 but I'm not sure if it's up your
alley -
Actually I'm posting this to the list because it could be a
recommendation for everyone who's interested in this subject.
One is Howard Gardner's-"Art and Mind".
Gardner is very interesting and also is the father of MI theory.
(Multiple intelligence theory). Here he relates art to the mind, the
mind of geniuses, artists, brain damaged etc.
Another one is Michael Gurian's- "The Wonder of Boys" ( although
after yesterday I guess he should write about Men) I think it is
essential to understand the mind of boys and how boys in general
differ from girls. The relationship and understanding the impulses
and reaction of boys and how aggression and anger are two different
things. (Especially in this day). Actually I bought "A Fine Young
Man" before this book but stopped reading it when I wanted to
deal more with my son's age. ( I have 2, ages 5 and 8).
Sandra