Re: women artists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:10:24 -0400

Joseph Augusta wrote:

> DESIGN18 wrote:
>
> > I have taught about Frida Kahlo. She painted extemely autobiographical
> > selfportraits, most about the physical pains she suffered from an automobile
> > accident....
>
> I believe she was riding in a bus that was involved in an accident, and was
> seriously injured when the handrail she was holding snapped and pierced her
> vagina. This injury also prevented her from bearing children.
>
> Best wishes,
> Joseph

True but that didn't stop her from sharing the intimate feelings of
miscarriage while suffering. Though it was a trolley which hit the
bus she was in. Actually there are several good books about her and
the artednet site has some good pics/bio on several hispanic women
including painting and sculpture. look up the women artist series
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/Index/Themes/women.html
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/Index/Themes/artists.html
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/resources/Maps/women-res.html
Above derived from-click on theme