Re: Art Quotes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:06:44 -0500

AViles5631 wrote:

> I am looking for a
> place that has a compilation of art related quotes...

I've compiled a list of quotes which I use in posters to put on the
outside of my art room door. Gives the classroom teachers something to
read when they come to pick up the kids...lots of positive comments
about them from the teachers and even more than one custodian!! I change
them every week and if I forget, I get reminders, so I know they're
reading them.
My purpose in choosing these particular quotes was to get the teachers
to make connections between their worlds and mine. Thus I look for
quotes from people other than artists, about their perceptions of art
and why it is important. Sources include this great list, School Arts
covers, The Art Teachers Book of Lists (has lots more - I was
selective), and others.
btw, I've observed that if I put images on the posters, they don't read
the words, but if I only put the enlarged words, they DO read them!!
Here's the list from...
Linda in Michigan

“How important are the visual arts in our society? I feel strongly that
the visual arts are of vast and incalculable importance. Of course I
could be prejudiced. I am a visual art.”
—Kermit the Frog, muppet

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once
he groes up.”
—Pable Ruiz y Picasso, artist
1881-1973

“Art is a way of expression that has to be understood by everyone,
everywhere.”
—Rufino Tamayo, artist

“The sculptor, and the painter also, should be trained in these liberal
arts: grammar, geometry, philosophy, medicine, astronomy, perspective,
history, anatomy, theory of design, arithmetic.”
—Lorenzo Ghiberti, sculptor and goldsmith
1378-1455

“There are three forms of visual art: Painting is art to look at,
sculpture is art you can walk around, and architecture is art you can
walk through.”
—Dan Rice
(does anyone know who Dan is????)

“Art is idea. It is not enough to draw, paint, and sculpt. An artist
should be able to think.”
—Gurdon Woods
(and Gurdon????)

“Art flourishes where there is a sense of adventure.”
—Alfred North Whitehead, mathematician and philosopher
1861-1947

“If painting weren’t so difficult, it wouldn’t be fun.”
—Edgar Degas, painter
1834-1917

“Art is like a border of flowers along the course of civilization.”
—Lincoln Steffens, journalist

“Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable
thing in art: the thing you cannot explain.”
—Georges Braque, cubist painter
1882-1963

“Conception, my boy, fundamental brainwork, is what makes all the
difference in art.”
—Dante Gabriel Rosetti, poet and painter
1828-1882

“To draw, you must close your eyes and sing.”
—Pablo Ruiz y Picasso, artist
1881-1973

“So I said to myself—I’ll paint what I see—what the flower is to me but
I’ll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking the time to
look at it—I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see
of flowers.”
—Georgia O’Keeffe, painter
1887-1986

“We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.”
—Sir Winston Churchill
British Statesman and Prime Minister
1874-1965

“Architecture is inhabited sculpture.”
—Constantin Brancusi, sculptor
1876-1957

“Light, God’s eldest daughter, is a principle beauty in a building.”
—Thomas Fuller, antiquarian and divine
1608-1661

“Always design a thing by considering its next larger context—a chair in
a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in
a city plan.”
—Eero Saarinen, architect
1910-1961

“Form ever follows function.”
—Louis H. Sullivan, architect
1856-1924

“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or
believe to be beautiful.”
—William Morris, artist, craftsman and poet
1834-1896

“We should comport ourselves with the masterpieces of art as with
exalted personages—stand quietly before them and wait until they speak
to us.”
—Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher
1788-1860

“A room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts.”
—Sir Joshua Reynolds, portrait painter
1723-1792

“All art is an individual’s expression of a culture. Cultures differ, so
art looks different.”
—Henry Glassie, author
in “The Spirit of Folk Art”

“Culture is something that evolves out of the simple, enduring elements
of everyday life; elements most truthfully expressed in the folk arts
and crafts of a nation.”
—Thor Hansen

“I must study politics and war
that my sons may have liberty to study
mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval
architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture,
in order to give their children
a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary,
tapestry, and procelain.”
John Adams, 2nd U.S. President
1735-1826

He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands
and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head
and his heart is an artist.
St Fancis of Assisi

“Art is not a pleasure, a solace, or an amusement; art is great matter.
Art is an organ of human life, transmitting man's reasonable perception
into feeling. In our age the common religious perception of men is the
consciousness of the brotherhood of man—we know that the well-being of
man lies in the union with his fellow men. True science should indicate
the various methods of applying this consciousness to life. Art should
transform this perception into feeling.
“The task of art is enormous. Through the influence of real art, aided
by science, guided by religion, that peaceful co-operation of man is now
obtained by external means—by law courts, police, charitable
institutions, factory inspection, etc.—should be obtained by man's free
and joyous activity. Art should cause violence to be set aside. And it
is only art that can accomplish this.”
Leo N. Tolstoy, writer and philosopher
1828-1910