Re: Art Quotes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:22:37 -0400

AViles5631 wrote:

> I know that in the past we have art quotes on the list. I am looking for a
> place that has a compilation of art related quotes as opposed to searching
> through the archives...
> If anyone knows of such a place please let me know...
> Thanks!
> Amy

Here's a list that was actually sent through this list some time back.

I want to touch people with my art. i want them to say 'he feels deeply,
he
feels tenderly.' -Vincent Van Gogh

I often think the night is more alive and more richly colored than the
day.
-Vincent Van Gogh

Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life. -Vincent Van Gogh

In an artist's life, death is perhaps not the most difficult thing.
Vincent Van Gogh

The emotions are sometimes so strong that I work without knowing it. The
strokes come like speech. -Vincent Van Gogh

How wonderful yellow is. It stands for the sun. -Vincent Van Gogh

The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting. -Vincent Van Gogh

Have you seen that portrait Gaugin did of me painting sunflowers? it was
really I, but it's I gone mad. -Vincent Van Gogh

They see poetry in what I have done. No. I apply my methods, and that is
all there is to it. -Georges Seurat

I build a painting by putting little marks together--some look like hot
dogs, some like doughnuts. -Chuck Close

Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have.
-Edvard Munch

Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye--it also includes the
inner pictures of the soul. -Edvard Munch

No longer shall I paint interiors with men reading and women knitting. I
will paint living people who breather and feel and suffer and love.
-Edvard munch

There is a battle that goes on between men and women. Many people call
it
love.
-Edvard Munch

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any
other way--things I had no words for. -Georgia O'Keeffe

I'll make them big like huge buildings going up. People will be
startled;
they will have to look at them. -Georgia O'Keeffe, commenting on the
flower series

Life obliges me to do something, so I paint. Rene Magritte

I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality. -Frida
Kahlo

This woman's work is exceptional. Too bad she's not a man. -Edouard
Manet
commenting on the work of Berthe Morisot

It is important to express oneself...provided the feelings are real and
are
taken from you won experience. -Berthe Morisot

When I was a kid, a book I read advised young artist to be themselves.
That
decided it for me. i was a corny kind of guy, so I went in for corn.
-Walt
Disney

I never intended to make art. -Walt Disney, when his work was displayed
at
the Metropolitan Museum of Art

I am interested in ideas, not merely in visual products. -Marcel
Dechamp

I want to make high art that is funny, outrageous and also reveals the
human condition, which is not always high. -Robert Arneson

Abstract paintings must be as real as those created by the 16th century
Italians. -Frank Stella

People call me the painter of dancers, but I really wish to capture
movement itself. -Edgar Degas

Conversations in real life is full of half-finished sentences and
overlapping talk. Why shouldn't painting be too? -Edgar Degas

I feel as though I haven't seem an object until I actually start
painting
it. -Janet Fish

Women at that time were supposed to look pretty and throw little
handkerchiefs around...well, I couldn't play that role. -Lousie
Nevelson

When the subjct is strong, simplicity is the only way to treat it.
-Jacob Lawrence

Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. -Claude Monet

The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a
revolution. -Paul Cezanne

I hope with all my heart that there will be painting in heaven.
-Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot

Ricki in NJ