Re: paideia schools

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 20:49:20 -0400

Pildorr wrote:

> My school is switching to a Paideia program next year. Our program is going
> to be based in reading and literature and we'll have one meeting every week
> that lasts 45 minutes. Of course, all the classes in the school will be
> having a meeting at that time. I was told last night by the "education
> co-ordinator" that I would be doing one of two things next year: Either I
> would be partnered with one teacher for the whole school year and work with
> that teacher during their "Paideia time" or that I would have a small
> selection of kids who will come to me every week to work with me alone on the
> literature piece. I'm pretty excited by these possibilities and hope that
> they work out. If there's anything that my students need more of it's
> critical thinking.

There is a great book (I think so at least) that one of the professors
at Montclair State University has written about thinking critically.
It's called "Teaching for Thoughtfulness" and it's written by Dr. John
Barell. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to promote
critical thinking in their classroom, and I think that pretty much
includes most of us.

Ricki in NJ