Re: money, postage stamps and flags/middle school discipline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:29:49 -0400

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> Nora Redfern wrote:
> >
> > Hi -
> > Forever encouraged to tie in art with other subjects, I'm trying to
> > figure out a direction and activities that would go along with the study
> > of art on money, flags and postage stamps - specifically as related to
> > Texas history. Any ideas on hands-on projects that would go along with
> > this? (My students are typically frustrated with their abilities to draw
> > well enough to design their own money.)
>
> > Thanks again,
> > Nora Redfern
>
> Nora I'm not sure about Texas but I do have the Postal museum web
> site and also have a lesson on Stuart Davis> who was the first
> person to have an art stamp. Only wish I had a computer when I did
> the lesson because I had an actual stamp which I borrowed and now I
> could have scanned it. However it is from a painting I could look
> up. Let me know. So you could use the same idea as the lesson and
> apply it to your own objective.
> Sandra

Also for postage stamps their could be a theme that has to do with the
history of Texas (like the Alamo) and your students could do variations
on that theme depicted in stamp form. They could also design a logo for
Texas and use it in stamp form. The same can apply to flags and
currency.

Ricki in Nj