Re: And the bead goes on...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:11:24 -0500

Some beady ideas--

Try Native American beadwork history and then a small project with the seed
beads.

When I think of beads, I usually think of jewelry. This leads to thoughts
of Egyptian and African cultures. Perhaps, there is a project related to
one of those cultures that you could use.

Since you started with the history of beads, you could end with a
contemporary craft project using beads such as jewelry with Sculpey or the
beaded lampshades that seem to be fashionable now. Even though the
projects are supposed to be multiculturaI, a "closer-to-home" project might
be useful to finish off the unit. I found while teaching a class on crafts
and culture that the students eventually want to connect the stuff from
other cultures to their own.

Happy beading.

Jasmine
jdp30