Re: clay recommendations

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:53:52 -0500

Seems like you'll have your hands full. It can be done, though. I taught
25min classes from a cart to elementary students for two years. We met once
a week. If you have your own classroom, you can make sure to have all prep
work done before they get there to maximize use of your time. I would also
take advantage of parent volunteers as much as possible. At the elementary
level, they are much easier to find and they are a lifesaver.

One clay project that I did was puppets. The students made the heads out
of air-dried clay. They made a round ball and put an opening in the bottom
large enough for their finger and some fabric. They painted the heads and
then I sprayed them with a sealer to protect them. We then made clothing.
I also used the air-dried clay for students to make Egyptian mummies. The
basic shape was pretty simple and then they could carve in the details.

Don't try to plan projects that you will finish in one class period. Many
of my projects took weeks to accomplish. Just break it down into steps
that can be successfully finished in 20 minutes or so. The kids don't mind
and they will remember well enough from one class to the next what is going
on. Taking a long time to finish each project also taught them to take them
time and do a good job.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jasmine
jdp30