Re: Need names/info on Hispanic artists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jerry & Anne Carman-Hendel (hendel)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:41:19

At 10:55 PM 6/25/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I'm going to be teaching in a middle school this coming school year and it is
>about 48% Hispanic. The principal has asked me to come up with some Hispanic
>artists who have "made it" in the art world. The idea is to give the
students
>some real life role models. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>Annette Cairl

How about Picasso, Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo and other mural artists?
Also, you might want to check out the art of Mexico as it has some unique
art forms such as yarn painting ( also called ofrnedas and nearikas) and
bead work, check for web sites on the Huichol artwork. Also, the Cuna tribe
in Panama create molas.

I recently did some searching and found these web sites which I thought
were helpful and provided some links, too.

http://www.diegorivera.com

http://www.cascaade.net/kahlo.html

http://www.mexico.web.com.mx/english

http://www.mola.com