[Fwd: Photographs B&W]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:39:16 -0400

--------------D769FC3D60EA6DC747A3ABA3

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick
astroboy
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy
--------------D769FC3D60EA6DC747A3ABA3

This didn't appear to post unless I'm getting things late. I don't belong to the digest just the regular mail list. Seems as though things are slow and if I don't get a newsletter very little is posted.

I would also like to add Diane Arbus and of course all the photos taken of Georgia O'keefe along with her paintings would be a nice lesson. Perhaps a study in black and white paint of a "said Photo". i.e. Photo of Georgia O'keefe black and white study of Photo (or one of her paintings) of Georgia O'keefe. I am not an O'Keefe fan but a still life of Cactus taken with black and white film at different angles,then put back together. If a trip to NY is out of the question perhaps obtaining slides would be nice. I believe the Whitney(but maybe the Guggenheim) has a room filled with Steiglitz photos.Perm. Collection. Is it Swanson who is photographed behind black lace with her hands on either side of her cheeks? The eyes are lit,but the rest is in shadow.

Which reminds me Norman Rockwell lesson:

Have children split into small groups of 2 or 3 each. They will pose as the models of Rockwell's did in his pictures. Rockwell took pictures of Models and then painted from his photos. He used many people from the town in Virginia(I'm too tired to look up so I may be wrong) pose for him. These were action poses. Anyway i.e.- "Dentist" or "Lost tooth" Is a good example. The kids pose themselves and then each one takes a photo of the pose as the lesson. Before hand work with the group as a whole posing for different pictures ,found in various books. This lesson was done with ages 2nd 3rd and 4th grades. It really did help with kids understanding composition and how the artist looked and thought out his composition before taking picture and then the painting of it. There are other lessons for rockwell but they involved: Designing Sat. Evening Post cover. Studying the 4 Freedoms and placing self in Rockwell painting,or doing self portrait as Rockwell did. In actuality to learn of the artist is also learning and using his technique and the tools and mediums he used as well as subject manner.

Sandra P.S. If you want to be contemporary,then you could look at the photos of Michael Stipe: He toured with Patti Smith as a photographer and has a book out on her. I haven't seen it but heard him on Charlie Rose a month or so ago. (Yes the same Michael Stipe with REM)

Michael Keller wrote: > > The Steerage by Alfred Steiglitz > > Almost anything by Duane Michals. In fact, rather than suggesting particular > images, I'd suggest you browse the library (or the college photo teacher's > library) for any texts of/by: > > William Albert Allard (longtime National Geographic photographer) > Nicholas Nixon (large format "candid" images of rural folk) > Olivia Parker (still lifes) > Todd Walker (photographs repurposed through printmaking media) > Marion Post Wolcott (rural documentarian) > Dorthea Lange (likewise)

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick

--------------D769FC3D60EA6DC747A3ABA3--