Re: favorite photographs pref. B/W

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michael Keller (keller)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:48:11 -0400

The Steerage by Alfred Steiglitz

Almost anything by Duane Michals. In fact, rather than suggesting particular
images, I'd suggest you browse the library (or the college photo teacher's
library) for any texts of/by:

William Albert Allard (longtime National Geographic photographer)
Nicholas Nixon (large format "candid" images of rural folk)
Olivia Parker (still lifes)
Todd Walker (photographs repurposed through printmaking media)
Marion Post Wolcott (rural documentarian)
Dorthea Lange (likewise)

There are plenty of others. Some of them are "people photographers," some
still life, some do altered works, some do sequence stories, but all do photos
that lend themselves to storytelling, either imagined or literal. You WILL
want to review the works in advance, some may be a bit adult in content (not
necessarily nude, but Duane in particular deals with death, religion and other
mature themes, often humorously).

If you're not familiar with some these people, I could scan a few images and
send you (NOT to the list!) some attached jpgs, if your email can handle that.
(Oh God, what have I just done?)

amanda clarke wrote:

> I am interested in using photographs in a lesson to show students there
> are multiple meanings and interpretations for a single piece of work.
>
> I would like to use B/W photos for various reasons, namely I can reproduce
> them without much difficulty.
>
> Does anyone have any favorite photos that would lend well to telling a
> story?
>
> Thanks,
> Amanda
> clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu