Re: Ceramics projects for High School

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jen Dixon (jendixon)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:39:47 -0400

Scott Harrison wrote:

> Do any of you who teach High School Ceramics have favorite projects you
> would like to share with the group? I'm always looking for new ideas and
> have received many from this list.
>
> Scott Harrison
> sharrison.us
> The sun is out in the Redwoods at last!

Surviving my first year teaching Ceramics...a challenge for someone
who hasn't touched clay in 15 years....and never very good at
it..being a dedicated painter...I actually had some very wonderful
surprises. My favorite projects were all theme oriented. Since I
couldn't help too much with technique, we all fiqured out the basis of
clay together. But I could put my expertis in the creative part. Every
project was based around a theme. Our first project was a pinch pot
that had an organic theme to it. We brainstormed on what "Organic"
was...talked about design. And they came up with incredible pots that
ranged from tree trunks to eggs. The pot had to have at lease two
components.
My student teacher taught a lesson in "inside Outside" and the
element of surprise. Students had to create a container that had a
theme based around its exterior, a lid, and then a surprising
interior.
One of the most successful projects was Rowhouses...base on the
Baltimore Row house. After studing the architecture of Baltimore they
design and created houses. These were great but took a lot of clay.
The houses were about 6" wide, 6" deep and 18" high. They worked on
all the walls , four slabs and then kept at a workable greenware stage
. Once all the details were finished they put the walls together. Once
at this scultural stage, most students went on to adding porches,
balconies and garages.
I'd love to know of other projects if you could pass along what
you've gotten for ideas. Next year I will have a compo class of
ceramic 1 and 2's. So I won't be able to repeat all of the projects I
did this past year.
Thanks
Jen
Baltimore,MD.