encaustic/mosaics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

I noticed your comment about melted crayons, and wondered if anyone has
ever done an encaustic painting project. I teach Art History, as some of
you already know, and I like to give my students some experiences feeling
what it is like to work in a particular medium. I've always been
fascinated by the Roman Fayyum paintings of encaustic on wood. Currently
we're making mosaics and I was thrilled when one of my seniors
told me she had a much greater respect for the mosaics we studied, now
that she knows how involved it is!

Carla Schiller, Esq.
Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
e-mail: charwitt.us
"When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not
know a thing, to allow that you do not know it--this is knowledge."
--Kongzi (Confucius)