Re: Printing at art camp

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 19:31:22 -0400

I don't know your ages of kids, but I teach highschool, and have found if you
don't make the piece challenging enough, you will lose them. For printmaking I
usually combine techniques....so here's one that the kids liked, and it takes
imagination, planning, and craftsmanship.

It combines a collagraph with a subtraction linoleum. The collograph is a window
from the indoors, looking out...so that means, the window, frame, panes, and
curtains are done in a collograph technique, which will make it white on white as
a relief. The subtraction linoleum is what you see outside the window, and that
is in color with at least three colors.( I have also done the outside in drypoint,
that has been watercolored, or colored pencil). So the creativitiy lies in what
kind of window they choose (bay, double hung, french), and what one sees
outside...is it day or night, animal or vegetable, real or surreal. It gives kids
a little leeway to use their imagination, at the same time they must be accurate
with their regisrations in both the collograph (we only used cardboard and a
linoleum press), and the subtraction linoleum. Hint: Do the collographs first,
let dry, then print the linoleums in the "negative space" of the window.

On another note: I was lucky enought to teach two years at an Art Camp in the
northeast. It is there that I cut my teeth as an art teacher. Living with those
highschoolers taught me a lot about what is important to them, and now 20+ years
later I still rely on that knowledge, and it has stood up to the test of time.

San D