Re: Printing at art camp

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:37:39 -0500

LilianBobo wrote:

> Has anybody taught relief print making at a summer camp? I'm getting ready to
> leave at the end of this month and am getting nervous. It is a fine arts camp
> that I'll be working at but I'm not sure how interested the students will be
> in what I have to offer when painting, drawing & sculpting are their other

Susan,I have a printing process that I think your art campers will enjoy. It is
flower pounding. You use different grasses and flowers and lay them on fabric ( I
used white muslin) with a covering like a sheet of paper. Then you pounded them
with a hammer. You don't need to pound hard to get some nice prints of the flowers
on the fabric. Be sure to have a padding of newspaper under the fabric. I have
used this method on a white cotton jacket. I call it my Monet jacket.
I have not used this with students, but I got the idea from Family magazine in an
article on crafts for kids. The project had kids making pillow cases.
Vinegar is suppose to help set the color but I don't remember the portions.
Good luck with your class, I'm sure it will be fun!

MaryB.