Re: real artists, cool aritsts...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
LITESAL (LITESAL)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:17:18 -0400

>Wendy Sauls wrote:
>>people. for example, in a recent issue of artnews or artforum or art in
>>america (they all seem to come at once and i forget which is which!) there
>>was a piece about liza lou. she does these installations in beads, a
>>kitchen and a picnic scene were featured in the article. i had
seen/heard
>>a little about her before and was fascinated and enthralled reading and
>>looking at the piece. so many aspects of her work are compelling to me,
her
>>method/technique, inspiration, subjects, labor... her work seems all at
>>once fantastic, surreal, expressive, decorative... wowie-zowie!

Dear Wendy (and all),
The article you speak of, was in Art In America. Her work was
fascinating, and ambitious! Talk about all -consuming passion, she wants to
bead everything! I am especially interested in how her chosen medium
informs her subject (traditionally feminine decorative arts/feminist
issues).
Two artists that interest me (as a painter), are Paula Rego and Eric
Fischl. Narratives are compelling to me, I like to look at the scene and
imagine what happened, is happening, and will happen. I have done that
since I was young(er).
Contemporary art is a gold mine! It is informed by the past, but
speaks to us, and our contemporary issues. It's worth taking a look.
Sincerely,
Leah