Re: batik ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 21:34:38 -0400

For batiks I would suggest doing a wind sock....What I did was take a rectangle of
material, and make a hem on the top of about 1". (You will eventually, when they
are batiked, sew the sides to make the "tube" making sure to keep the top 'hem"
accessible to put a hanger "hoop" through. Then you attach three strings, on the
hoop in 1/3rd increments, tie the strings together at the top to hang. We fringed
the bottom by cutting strips). Then the kids work with the flat rectangle, making
sure to mark off about 1/3 of the bottom, as this part will be "stripped" for the
fringe. I had the kids do fish. Fish lend themselves well to "happy accidents" in
batik, and will be swimming around the windsock when it is sewed together. They
looked terrific, and everyone's was a success. (AND I did that in highschool
crafts class, and the kids loved it, and by the way, so do their parents!).

As for masks: One year I had the students take their pariscraft masks and turn
them into landscapes. The noses make great "mountains", the eyes, "lakes", and
they built additional things like trains, trees, houses out of pariscraft and
added them to the horizontal faces. They were then painted. It took viewers
awhile to get the face part, they enjoyed the landscapes first...and it turned out
to be a pleasant surprise...

San D