Racist art history

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Keller (keller)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:00:27 +0000

> DWG my ass...history stands on its own merits..too bad you feel insulted
> but my WAG (white artist guys) are superior to anthining else on the
> planet.
> it si only when we lower our standards , when we begin to accept other
> ethnic
> groups into the fold. sorry to spring this reality trip on you, but it is
> 1998 my
> friend.

What reality trip? That only white male artists are adequate to be inlcuded in
a curriculum? Especially dead ones? 100 years from now, who do YOU think will
be making the art curricula and who do YOU think will be included? While the
artists you included are all fine, they are also simply the standard group that
everyone already studies and knows about. Real freaking adventurous of you to
inspire students with art done a billion years ago.

It also strikes me as pretty bloody superior, and damn racist/sexist, to
presume that your dead white guys are "superior to anything else on the
planet." Do you really think you're lowering art standards to include some
Japanese potter, or some African weaver, or some British photographer, or on
and on...

It IS 1998, and I thought we knew better than that.

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:38:14 +0000 "Mike Keller" <keller>
> writes:

> >bruegel,
> >degas,
> >gorky,
> >butterfield,
> >> >
> >> But for 2 who are nearly there, your list could be renamed:
> >> REAL (dead) ARTISTS 101. Close your Janson's and try to get out
> >more;
> >> there's a whole world of art, great and small, being created even as
> >we
> >> speak! Have courage Elwood!
> >
> >Yeah, I notice not a photographer in the bunch, altho O'Keefe hung out
> >with a
> >very famous one.<g> That almost qualifies as one of those DWG lists.
> >
> >That's Dead White Guys to those who don't know.

Michael Keller
Old and New Media