From: Zoomzaam
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Question about private schools
Date: Thu, Jun 11, 1998, 1:21 AM

Hi everyone!
For the first time, I applied to become a kindergarden and 1st grade art
teacher in a private school and I just recently received a sort of
rejection
letter. I say "sort of" because the closing line was "although we are
currently not looking for an art teacher, anything can happen between now
and
September. We will consider you first when a position comes up."
I have asked a couple of teacher friends (not art teachers) and they have
both
said that private schools are notorious for calling at the last minute for a
hire. I would just like to know if this is true because the letter I
received
seemed to spell unpredictability.
Thanks to anyone who'll comment. Have a great summer! Asuka in Los
Angeles.

I once applied to a Montessori sch., interviewed well and did not get the
job. I heard later that it was just as well because this particular sch.
kept strict guidlines on art curr. The school called me several months
later to see if I was still available. When I asked what happened to the
person they hired, they said she did not follow the curr. I declined the
job offer. They called me again for the next sch. year and I was even more
convinced this was not right for me................Ah, roads not taken.
In this situation I made a good choice. I am working in a new school in my
own district, with a sch. bd. and Super who believe in the arts!
Louise