Re: tjanting and tjap in batik.....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 18:59:32 -0700

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> Dearest listserv members........For those in the "know"...how do you
> pronounce the words "tjanting" and "tjap"? Duh! This sounds like a great
> lesson I'd like to try with the flour mixture for younger kids this summer.

Hi, Bunki!

I'm pretty sure they're pronounced just as they would be without the *t*
("jap" and "janting").

My mother brought me back a tjap from Indonesia; it's a bird with an
incredibly intricate pattern. Cookie cutters work, also. I've read that
you can make your own using tin cans, pliers, and tin snips (WATCH THOSE
SHARP, SHARP EDGES!) The trick is to get the tjap or the tjanting down
into the wax where it's hottest--near the bottom--and hold it there for a
few seconds so it collects the hottest wax.

Obviously, you can't use a deep pan of wax for this. I've used the
"batik wax" that comes in a block about 1" thick, in its own aluminum
pan; I place it in a roasting pan of hot water which is on a hot plate.
I also have an alcohol lamp for reheating the tjanting, which has a
reservoir for wax.

Hope this helps.

Maggie