Re: anamorphic art, optical illusions + Escher + things

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John Bibby, QED of York, York, England (qed)
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 23:57:23 +0000

Dear ArtsEdNetters

Greetings from York, England!

1. I have found 15 books (listed below) on optical illusions. The one by
Keith Kay:

Kay, Keith Take a Closer Look! : Big B Dec 91 o4.50
0951347926

is certainly excellent. (Prices in ukp: multiply by two to get US
price including postage.)

2. The following is probably the book referred to on Anamorphic art:

ISBN: 0 85964 029 9
Author 1: Baltrusaitis, Jurgis
Title: Anamorphic Art.
Language: Tr. fr. French WJ Strachan
Physical: sD4.192. 129ill. Cloth
Publisher: Chadwyck-Healey: Jul 77
Price: o30.00 ukp (at 08/88)

but I'd also like to recommend "The Magic Cylinder Book" (available
from us at address below for $6 inc postage): this includes a mirror
and many activities to produce and de-code anamoprhic art.

3. We are now preparing a calendar for 1998 which will feature (a)
Lewis Carroll (b) MC Escher (c) Anamorphic art (in fact, an
"Anamorphic Alice").ArtsEdNetters
can order this NOW for $10US including postage (please add $2 is
airmail is required). You can pay by send US dollar bills or via
credit card. (Full Money-back guarantee! - but you won't want to
return it!)

On 15 Jun 97 at 13:38, Bunki Kramer wrote:
> I had a couple of listerv friends mention the book HIDDEN PICTURES
> which again dwells on the cylinder thingy. On my own I stumbled
> across, just in the last two weeks, a good book called OPTICAL
> ILLUSIONS IN ART
I know there is another book out there called ANAMORPHIC ART by a
> french author which has been translated to English and costs $75.
> BARNES & N. said they would order it for me but that I wouldn't be
> charged for it if I didn't want it and they would put it on their
> shelf or return it to manufactor. In any case, I ordered it and it
> hasn't come in yet but I'm curious to see what it has to say.
>
> The video MASTERS OF ILLUSION is a super tie-in and
> lead-up-to-project.
>
> I've spend hours and hours at the county library and two local
> university libraries and everywhere information has been bone-dry on
> this subject.

Muir, Duncan Optical Illusions Apr 96 o4.50
0140376089
Ogden, Sharon Optical Illusions Quilt Desi May 94 o3.95
0486279324
Sato, Koichi Optical Illusions Coloring B Apr 95 o2.77
0486283305
Optical Illusions Sep 96 o7.99
0590191373
Jennings, Terr 101 Optical Illusions Oct 96 o12.99
0750018763 f
Jennings, Terr 101 Optical Illusions Oct 96 o7.99
0750018992 f
Joyce, Katheri Astounding Optical Illusions Oct 94 o9.99
0806904313
Joyce, Katheri Astounding Optical Illusions Mar 95 o3.99
0806904321
Gibilisco, Sta Optical Illusions: More Para Oct 90 o7.95
0830634649
Gibilisco, Sta Optical Illusions: More Para Oct 90 o14.95
0830664645
Armstrong, Tim Making Moving Patterns: How Dec 82 o4.50
090621226X
Kay, Keith Take a Closer Look! : Big B Dec 91 o4.50
0951347926
Optical Illusions Mar 93 o0.99
1855971909
Hook, Philip Optical Illusions Dec 93 o8.99
1858630428
Paradox Box : Optical Illusi Nov 93 o14.95
1870003616

"Alice in Escherland": a proposed conference and celebration of Lewis Carroll and MC Escher:
see the Times Educational Supplement (23/5/97, p. VI)

John Bibby
QED of York qed
1 Straylands Grove
York YO3 0EB, England Tel/Fax: +44-1904-424381

As the "one-stop maths shop", we aim to stock EVERYTHING
worthwhile in mathematics. E-mail us for details of Geometer's Sketchpad, Cabri, Derive, Minitab,
laminated posters, ALL Tarquin books, or whatever you want.