Re: Professional Development Seminars---(MOO resources)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Clair/Lily Kerns (CWKerns)
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 06:12:17 -0500

> From: Ann Wilschke <>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:41:33 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Professional Development Seminars
> I am interested in the seminars you are planning. I am currently taking
> telecommunications for teachers and surfing the web for art. We are
> assigned to do some reviews of research articles that cover how
> students learn using technology. I hear that this is a very difficult
> subject to find. I am wondering if you are aware of any research like
> this. It would seem that there should be some going on to justify all we

> are doing with technology in education. Our professor would especially
> like us to find references to research on the web, NOT in a library.
> Please let me know if you know of any such studies.
> Ann Wilschke

Ann, I have been taking a class from the University des Saarlands on
on-line learning. My most recent research has been on educational uses of
MOOs ( an offshoot of the old dungeon and dragons games).
I've put together a brief bibliography of some of the more interesting
sites, so will include it below. I've starred some of those with more
research included.

Now a question of my own--is anyone using this kind of technology for art
learning? so far MOO's mostly use Telnet and are strictly text based, but
some are beginning to use graphical and/or Java based interfaces which will
work with web-type pages etc.. I think there is an exciting opportunity
waiting here--has anyone given it a thought?
MOO resources

Teacher Professional Development Institute (web interface)

"TAPPED IN is a technology called a multi-user virtual environment (MUVE)
that enables people anywhere to engage in real-time (synchronous)
collaboration, send email, post to bulletin boards and listservs
(asynchronously), and browse Websites collaboratively all in a single
on-line venue. "

*MOO Research Archive
research papers and links

*The Lost Library of MOO
long list of tutorials, research papers and links

*MOO Central
Educational uses of Moos; links

example of a graphical browser

*ExploreNet Home Page