Re: Mixed classes...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D. (dg09)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:31:05 -0500 (CDT)

At 6:49 PM 06/17/1997, Robert E. Sheffey wrote:
>I just found out that besides going from teaching high school art to middle
>school, the classes will be mixed with 6,7, and 8th in the same room. So
>much for sequential curriculum. I hope to have this changed in the future
>but for this year, does anyone have any suggestions????
>Teresa Sheffey

I guess I would try and find out just what kind of art education curriculum
these children have had. It may be that despite their age and grade
differences, that they may be on the same level at least in terms of art
education. If you find this to be true, I would teach them all the same
content. You would need however to be aware that there will be emotional,
physical, intellectual differences in the way they approach making and
learning about art, but of course this is true of any class of students
even if they are in the same grade level.

Best of luck. Sounds as if you are needed there. Take care.

Diane

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education
Department of Art and Design