Re: Teacher Burnout....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D. (dg09)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:26:20 -0500 (CDT)

At 6:49 PM 06/17/1997, Robert E. Sheffey wrote:
>I am preparing to teach art in a new school which is in a year round system.
> There are 4 different tracks that the kids can take, each based on going to
>school 12 weeks and being out four. The four tracks rotate. I will be
>teaching one of the four tracks. This has been in effect for several years
>and I was told that there was less teacher burnout because of the 4 week
>breaks. I will work for 4 weeks in July, be off August, work until
>Thanksgiving, be off until Jan 2, work until the end of March, be off April,
>and then work until the end of June, and off for 2 weeks in July. I am
>excited about trying this new approach and can see where it would have it's
>benefits to the moral of the teacher as well as the students. You can put
>your best foot forward for 12 weeks, knowing you have four to recover, and
>prepare for the next. I would be interested to hear others views of this
>type of scheduling.
>
>Teresa Sheffey

Dear Teresa:

Sounds like an interesting approach and worth trying. Teacher burnout is a
serious problem. One concern I had was your statement " You can put
your best foot forward for 12 weeks, knowing you have four to recover, and
prepare for the next. " Will you prepare for those 4 weeks and not get
paid for those four weeks to prepare? In a sense, then you will be working
year round, but will you be paid for 12 months and not 9 months? I don't
mean to rain on your enthusiasm, but this is one concern I have. Please
let us know what you think.

Cheers and warm regards,

Diane

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.