Re: American Vision

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

It's interesting to read about the current generation having a dark vision
of the future. I don't know how old you are but I was born in 1954. My
generation grew up thinking we'd be killed by an atomic bomb dropped by
Russia before we reached adulthood. I think that's one of the reasons
there was such a strong protest against war in the '60s.
Now that the Cold War is over, which was inconceivable in my youth, I
think my generation is more positive about the future. I am a former
corporate lawyer who switched to teaching to help contribute to that
future and I know of a number of professonals in their '40s who have
switched to some sort of "helping" job instead of law, medicine, whatever.
I probably feel more optimistic about the future than I have at an earlier
time in my life (despite a current spate of personal troubles).

--Carla in LA