Re: Response to Henry (DBAE)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:12:51 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Rosa Juliusdottir wrote:

> Now to what I found so interesting in another of your post. You said:"This
> would be a good time for people to bring up DBAE resources that they have
> found particularly useful in understanding sensual experiences and objects
> in the terms of another culture. I'm not sure that we can ever experience
> something the way that another might.

I very much agree here Rosa. I seriously doubt that we can ever
experience or understand something the way another might (or might have
in the past). Our understandings are our own. I think that as such they are
often quite unique and valuable things; points of reference or examples
of what might be possible. It would be a mistake and perhaps a form of
projection to mistake them for the beliefs or understandings of others.

> While it seems important simply to understand that there ARE other ways
> of understanding, experiencing, or thinking about the things WE call art;
> I'd like the chance to find new ways for myself of dealing with art.

Me too! While we all, at times, need to gain knowledge and to learn "about
art" it is also importent, I think, to gain the experience of thinking
for ourselves and finding (and sharing) our own unique discoveries and
understandings.

> They might not correspond precisely with the experience of others, but
> when I'm in the mode of "artist" part of what I'm doing is playing with
> these "new ways" or perspectives and exploring how much utility they have
> in my own, private, "artworld"".

Pretty much the way I experience/approach being "in the mode of 'artist'"
Rosa. I'm not to sure that it is universal tho. I get the impression that
there are other ways. Diversity again.

> But in the end I have one question Henry. What about the students? How
> do we want them to experience the aesthetics of the OTHERS? That is what
> it is all about for me and that it is also why your writing is so
> interesting because it makes me really think about how I can best do that.

That is THE question, isn't it? It is both a tricky and a beautiful
question; in part, because any attempt at a useful answer must be so
complex.

I think that we might not want a singular answer to such a question. It
taxes the mind (mine at least) trying to worry out an answer. I simply
don't have one. I have (as Bateson might have put it) ideas about what
such an answer might look like, but not an answer or even one of many
possibilities..

Part of what I want, only part mind you, is that they find an excitement
about art experiences and a desire to explore experiences for their own
reasons. I'd really like to live in a culture with an attitude like that
claimed for the Balinese: "...we have no 'art' but all that we do is done
with an attitude of art..." (paraphrased) I wish everyone around me
believed that they were artists and allowed to make the claim. I want to
see the diversity of 100,000 years of world art reflected to some extent
in my classroom. I want to believe that there is a future for art
education as something other than a methodology for teaching science and
inculcating political beliefs and formal social values. (tho certaintly
tha HAS always been part of the history of both art and education)

Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for the post Rosa, you give me things to think about too!

-henry