Re: integration of the arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:37:15 CST6CDT

Hi, Peggy:

Look on ArtsEdge (http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org),
ArtsEdNet (http://www.artsednet.getty.edu) and
NTIEVA (http://www.art.unt.edu) for advocacy information
for your speech.

Concerning the screen masks that you saw in New Orleans:

The screen masks are part of the traditions of the "Mardi Gras
Run" in the parishes of Southwest Louisiana. Held at the same
time as Mardi Gras in New Orleans, the Southwest version
includes a "run" in which participants ride on horseback from
farm to farm, providing entertainment, and collecting
ingredients for a community gumbo that is served to all at the end of
the day. The riders wear masks with costumes and gloves to
disguise their identity.

The screen masks are molded somewhat to fit the contours of the
face and designs are painted on the screen. The screen masks the
face while allowing the wearer to see.

There is a lesson on this in "Art Lessons for the Middle
School," available from J. Weston Walch.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:38:21 -0400
> From: Ronald F Bennett <rbennett>
> Subject: integration of the arts
> To: artsednet

> Dear Artsednetters,
>
> I have been asked to do a 20 minute presentation/speech on integration
> of the arts. Any suggestions from you all out there. What should be
> included. I would like to make 3 or 4 main points and elaborate on each
> of them and then conclude with some type pf closure. I know 20 minutes
> is not long. Also, the presentation must be multi-media. Put you
> thinking caps on and send me your best ideas.
>
> Also, I am looking for someone from Lousiana or anyone who was at NAEA
> in New Orleans who can help me with some information about a display I
> saw. The display was artwork and lesson plans. The lesson I am
> interested in was on Screen Masks. What I need to know is the
> historical information on screen masks and how these people dressed in
> costume went from farm to farm gathering the ingredients for their
> celebration dinner that they cooked as a whole community on the last
> night before lent. Can anyone help me.
>
> Thanks,
> Peggy Bennett
> Moncks Corner, SC

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867
Walkup

  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: Democracy, art, schools and gangs"