Re: Clay Head Sculptures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dolores A. Lombardi (lombardi.pa.us)
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:17:31 +0100

Kathleen,

It is likely that your heads were not dry enough or were fired too quickly,
or the kiln may have been too full.

I have fired large clay sculpted busts of varying thicknesses for 11 years
and have had almost 100% success. Letting them dry for a couple of weeks
(make sure that they are propped up so that the inside dries also), then
firing them overnight at the lowest settings with the kiln door cracked
open, and then bringing up the temperature slowly over another 12 hours has
always worked.

Once I glazed fired a bust which had already been bisqued fired in a samller
kiln. Though I fired it slowly, it still cracked; so I assumed a large
piece needs a certain amount of space around it.

Hope these suggestions help.

Dolores Lombardi